Tuesday, August 05, 2014

King of the Castle

Morning scratch

August 3, 2014

While I woke up early this morning, Sammy slept in, lol.  He didn't make an appearance until about 9am flying in from our front woods. He had himself a good breakfast of mealworms, then proceeded to check out the bird feeders. He picked up several black oil sunflower seeds, but promptly discarded each one.  I wonder if they look like black beetles to him?

This doesn't taste like a beetle...

Sammy spent part of the morning chasing away other songbirds from "his" feeders (that are filled with seed that he doesn't eat, lol), but he did let one Black-capped Chickadee stay and get a sunflower seed...once.  I can't get over how fast this little guy can fly, especially when he is zooming in and out around the trees at the edge of the forest. And it seems so effortless for him too, simply fascinating to watch!

Sammy, the male Eastern Bluebird fledgling, staking his claim on the bird feeders

Later in the morning, while I was picking beans from the vegetable garden in the backyard, Sammy landed on my bent-over back and sat there for a couple minutes, not minding the movement of my body. Frank walked past him later while he was perched on a driftwood post and Sammy chased him down to land on his head. I don't think he liked being ignored by Frank as he walked by, so I guess he decided he would go to him.

Another quick bath was enjoyed by Sammy this afternoon and he was in and out the yard the rest of the day.

Almost bath time

The russet on his sides is getting bigger daily it seems
and his beak is hardening up very nicely, only the corners are soft and yellow still

About an hour before dark, I was walking through our parking area when Sammy flew down out of a big maple onto my head. He stayed there for a few seconds before swooping down onto the laneway to do some hunting. I decided to help him out and dropped 2 small black crickets and a beetle on the laneway near him, one at a time. I love watching him cock his head to the side when he spies their movement, right before he pounces on them. I tossed down 2 more beetles and a potato bug, which he gobbled up.

After he was done hunting, he flew onto the side of a birch tree, then back to my shoulder nuzzling in for a few minutes.  I feel so priviledged to be offered these little cuddles by this beautiful, free Eastern Bluebird fledgling. Once cuddle time was over (way too quickly in my opinion, lol) Sammy flew into what has seems to have become his favourite beech tree beside the laneway and settled himself in for the night.

August 4, 2014

Another "typical" day in the life of Sammy. He had a good bath, visited us several times and sat on our heads or arms throughout the day. I tossed him some medium sized grey grasshoppers and a beetle, as well as his usual supplement of mealworms were in his dish.

In for some of his beloved mealworms

I watched him pursue a moth in the air, but couldn't tell if he caught it...he's just too fast for me sometimes!

Sammy chose the laneway beech tree to roost in for the night, in the exact same spot as the last few nights. It's a safe looking spot and he tucks himself in under the leaves from the little branch directly above his perch.

August 5, 2014

Two of my grand-daughters are here for the week - Audrina, age 5 and Jaelyn, age 2 & 1/2.  They simply love seeing Sammy come flying in and enjoy checking out the trees to try to find him.

One of Sammy's favourite perching spots is on his own personal "hydro lines" -
one of 3 ropes my husband hung between our trees for him.

He has landed on them a couple of times, which simply amazes them and their little faces light up like the sun! Once, our Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise cross dog, Brandy, ran over to near where Sammy was and he immediately flew up from the ground and onto Audrina's head.  I'll say it again, this is one smart little fellow...he knew to fly to safety out of Brandy's reach!  I'm pretty sure Brandy wouldn't hurt Sammy, but we keep a close watch on where our dogs are when Sammy is about or put them back inside until he heads off on one of his exploratory adventures.



We have 3 little dogs, 2 are Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise crosses - Brandy and Ginger and a tiny little Maltese/Yorkie cross, Mocha who is only just over 6 pounds.  I think they felt left out and ignored somewhat while I was still raising and caring for Sammy in the house, even though they get tons of love and are a little bit spoiled, lol.

Once again, Sammy slept in the same spot in the same beech tree by the laneway.  He seems to be a creature of habit.

Today Sammy is 56-57 days old and continues to amaze us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.