Sunday, August 10, 2014

Leaving Sammy



I was away for the past 5 days, on a family trip, so there isn't too much to write. I was very worried about leaving and being gone so long from Sammy. Worried he wouldn't get enough food, even though my husband and wonderful friend, Katherine, would be putting food out for him. Worried he would leave if I wasn't around. Worried about whether he would be okay or not without me. If you haven't figured it out yet...I am a worrier in general.

But I needn't have been worried in this case, Sammy did just fine without me, lol. Which is great! I may not have been ready to "cut the apron strings", but Sammy is definitely doing well being free.



The morning I left, August 6th/14, I enjoyed some time watching him chase a White-breasted Nuthatch away from the feeders and into the woods.  These birds seem to his favorite to chase.  He ate well, enjoying mealworms, a couple of grasshoppers I had caught for him and a beetle.  It started to rain before I left, and Sammy surprised me by giving himself a thorough bath, in the pouring, heavy rain...silly boy.

Last feeding before I headed off on my trip.
His blue shoulders are so vivid and blue is starting to appear on his back also.

I headed southward around 11am, with a heavy heart, missing this beautiful bluebird already, but also looking forward to spending time with my sons, daughter-in-law, grand-daughters and my sister and her family. We are headed into New York for some shopping, amusement parks and other fun. 

Katherine texted me in the afternoon to let me know she left mealworms out for him, after waiting 40 minutes for him to show! What a lovely woman she is, spending so much time watching for him...she had wanted to send me a photo so that I could see that he was okay, but he didn't make a appearance.

Sammy showed up within 5 minutes of Frank returning home from work around 5pm and he offered him some mealworms.  He reported to me in the evening that Sammy also had another long bath, getting himself totally drenched. He also watched him settle in for the night in his spot in the driveway beech tree.

The second day I was gone, Katherine again came to feed him in the mid-morning. This time he flew right in and ate mealworms out of her hand and his dish. She enjoyed the experience of hand-feeding him and seeing the beauty of him up close.  She left more for him in his dish when she left and they were gone when she came back again in the afternoon.  I am so lucky to have a friend like Katherine...taking time out of her day to come over here to make sure one little bluebird has his mealworms.  Frank found Sammy waiting for him in the front yard when he got home.



Frank was home for the next two days and saw him several times - eating, bathing, hunting and chasing other birds - so all was well for Sammy.  I had so much fun being on a mini-vacation with family, but boy was I ever excited to get home to see Sammy.  And my husband and 3 little dogs, too!

Today, Sammy is 61-62 days old...and doing just fine without his momma!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.