Sunday, June 15, 2014

Finding an Eastern Bluebird Nest

The raising of Sammy, an orphaned male Eastern Bluebird nestling, all began with a drive around our area bird watching.  As I drove down the road behind us, I saw a brilliant flash of blue flying above the road. It landed on a hydro line..a male Eastern Bluebird!! The first one I have ever seen! He was absolutely breath-taking and I was so excited!

I tried to find him again as he flew off down the road, so I was driving slowly. Then I spotted a nestbox at an opening in a mown field and I pulled in to it. I discovered 4 nestboxes set up in a Bluebird nestbox trail with a male Eastern Bluebird perched on the fourth and farthest box. I couldn't believe my luck

I checked each box carefully and quickly, and discovered 6 black-capped chickadee eggs in the first box.
six black-capped chickadee eggs in nestbox
Six Black-capped Chickadee eggs

The second and third boxes had bits of moss in them, the beginning of chickadee nests, but not completed.
The fourth box held a wondrous treasure: 5 nestling bluebirds about 5-6 days old as best as I could tell. 
Five Eastern Bluebird Nestlings - 5 to 6 days old

The excitement I felt was incredible! They were so beautiful and delicate looking, all snuggled tightly in their nest. I took some quick pictures, closed the nestbox and moved far back into the field to make sure the parents came back to feed them.

Within minutes, both mom and dad were back with juicy green caterpillars and what looked like a big black ant and a black cricket for their babies. What good parents! I stayed and watched for several minutes, just fascinated by how many trips the parents were making to feed their young. They were back every few minutes with a new mouthful of food and would usually perch on the top of the box and look around a bit before entering. Watching for danger I imagined.

The dad was simply gorgeous with rich cobalt blue feathers and a lovely russet breast.

male eastern bluebird feeding nestlings


male eastern bluebird at nestbox
Male Eastern Bluebird - Sammy's Dad

The mom, as usual for song birds, was more subdued: a lighter, greyer-blue and a much softer, duller breast.
female eastern bluebird with food for nestlings
Female Eastern Bluebird - Sammy's Mom

I quietly left and drove home with such a feeling of awe and wonder at viewing this intimate look into the lives of this family of bluebirds.

I began researching this beautiful bird on the internet and ordered some books about them. I also started writing notes so I could report this nest to Project Nestwatch for Bird Studies Canada.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.