Monday, June 23, 2014

Eastern Bluebird Nestling 13 to 14 Days Old

Eastern Bluebird nestling at 13 to 14 days old
Sammy at 13 to 14 days old

Sammy is certainly one stubborn little bluebird baby - he still will not gape for food.  He doesn't even make the begging sounds I have heard and seen on videos of other nestlings.  He's hungry, he eats well, but I still have to open his mouth to get the food in.  I use my thumbnail to carefully open his beak, which is still soft and yellow, then I can place the food in his mouth.  He actively swallows as soon as he feels it in his mouth.  I hope he starts opening up on his own soon, it would really make feeding time so much easier for him and me.
Male Eastern Bluebird Nestling showing blue wings
Male Eastern Bluebird nestling developing lovely blue wings

Wing fluttering is strong and he takes a firm grasp of my finger to perch.  His crawling/hopping is getting better too, he can now move about a foot's distance before he stops. His tail has grown to approx 5-6mm now and he is almost completely feathered, just the odd, tiny bare patch. Sammy's beautiful dark eyes are still bright and alert.

At each feeding, I kept him out of his nest for a few minutes so he could build up strength in his wings and legs. I took a really cute video of him today for my grand-daughter, Tenley. I promised her I would send her videos or pictures every day of Sammy..she said she would miss him when I took him home yesterday.  Usually it's me she's going to miss and never wants me to leave..I think I've now been displaced by the baby bluebird, lol.


Today makes Sammy 13 to 14 days old.

Male Eastern Bluebird nestling
Sammy's handsome blue wings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.