Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sounds of Cheeping

Sammy made the drive last night just fine.  He was snug in his nest with a towel over the terrarium on the front seat for the hour long drive.  I fed him just before we left and then immediately when we arrived.

Tenley, my almost 4 year old grand daughter was instantly in love with this little bluebird and was at my side for every feeding last night and for almost every one today.  Throughout the day, she would constantly ask "Is it time to feed Sammy?"  She couldn't get enough of watching him.

In the early afternoon, when I had him out of his nest to feed him, he made delightful, soft cheeping sounds..definitely music to my ears! He is still eating and pooping well, but I'm still having to encourage and gently pry his beak open.  It's like he has forgotten how to gape for food, but once it's in his mouth he swallows right away.
eastern bluebird nestling looking grumpy
Birds just look so grumpy sometimes..
I think Sammy is recognizing me now, and getting attached (bonded, imprinted...) to me, just as I am to him.  When he hears an unfamiliar noise or if he seems nervous, he backs up into my sideways cupped hand and snuggles right in against it. Maybe he views me as safety or maybe he just likes to feel snug like he would have with his siblings in his nest. Either way, it is so endearing and I will admit - I am completely, utterly, hopelessly in love with this little bluebird baby. I didn't think I could have gotten so attached to a bird...but I have.  His health, well-being and dare I say, happiness mean so much to me.  I am going to do everything possible to give this delicate, trusting, little love the best care I can.  He deserves it.
eastern bluebird nestling 11 to 12 days old
Content after his feeding
Today makes Sammy 11-12 days old and he has changed again overnight.  His feathers are starting to open up at the tips, and his head is even fluffier. There is lots of feather sheath dust on the bottom of his little kleenex nest, so I change the kleenex frequently in case it is irritating to him.
Gave Sammy his final feeding about 9pm and then we both settled down for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.