Monday, July 21, 2014

Splash Time

I've been leaving Sammy in his outdoor aviary until 30-45 minutes after dark the last couple of nights, in preparation for spending a few full nights outside in its' safety before he is released.  His release date is fast approaching, and I want him ready in every possible way.  I'm anticipating his freedom with a mix of excited anticipation, anxiousness and sadness.  I am thrilled that he will get to experience life as he was meant to do, but at the same time, I am worried about what that life will bring him.  And yes, I will miss him terribly.  Yup, I've broken the "cardinal rule" of the real rehabbers:  I am hopelessly attached to him.

The first night, he was perched on a cedar branch in the top corner of his aviary when I went to bring him inside.  The 2nd night, he was on the screen door of the aviary when I went out.  I'm not sure if he had been perching contentedly before I went out, then flew to the door when I turned the porch lights on, or if he had been "waiting" to be brought inside.  And yes, cuddle-time is still the before bed routine for Sammy.

Sammy has been busy perfecting his hunting techniques, flying down from a perch to the ground to catch beetles, grasshoppers and ants.  Moths he takes right from the aviary screen walls and roof.  He also drinks water regularly from either his water dish or his bird bath.

He's been doing a lot of calling lately, and it is such a beautiful, simple two-note sound.  He calls more when he's outside than he does when he's in the house.  He often makes these calls when I'm approaching his aviary, then usually flies to me once I'm inside, landing on my shoulder, head or arm. This could be his fledgling call that he would usually make to his parents (most often the dad) hoping to be fed by them.

After Sammy had a quick bath this afternoon and was busy preening, I got busy cleaning his bath.  As soon as I had it filled up again, he flew right back and had himself a good, long drenching bath.  It made me wonder if he was curious about what I had just done, or if that was his plan all along - to have a second bath?

Here are a series of photos taken as he preened after his bath.

Male Eastern Bluebird soaking wet


Male Eastern Bluebird soaking wet

Male Eastern Bluebird
Sammy's impression of "looking tough"

Male Eastern Bluebird soaking wet
Sometimes he looks so grumpy...

Male Eastern Bluebird fledgling scratching after bath

Male Eastern Bluebird fledgling showing off his wings

Beautiful blue wings on male Eastern Bluebird fledgling

Blue wings on male Eastern Bluebird fledgling
Drying his impressive blue wings

Today makes Sammy 41-42 days old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.