Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sammy and the Woodpecker

I'm pretty sure that a couple nights ago, Sammy spent the night huddled up on the eaves up against the house, a good place to stay dry from the rain and out of sight of avian predators.  He came from their at 6:30am yesterday morning, when I first came outside, flying after a Chipping Sparrow. They both landed on the driveway, then Sammy was chased off by two other Chipping Sparrows into a maple tree across the laneway.  I wonder if it was a fledgling Sammy followed, and then the parents who proceeded to chase Sammy off?  If it was, then that little sparrow has a good pair of protective parents!  He also did some White-breasted Nuthatch chasing too during the past two days.

Chipping Sparrows

White-breasted Nuthatch

As I walked out onto the lawn, Sammy flew back onto the eaves, then down into my hand and ate about 10 mealworms.  He hopped up my arm, settling himself on my shoulder.  He had a few more mealworms while we had our visit.

Sammy came back in for food around 8:10am and again at 9am, after checking out some new perching places...like the porch light, my camera tripod and the kids swing on the porch.  He ate well both times before going off to do bluebird things.

I had to go out yesterday morning and was gone for about 3 hours.  When I got back home about noon, Sammy was on the peak of the roof, calling his little heart out and quivering his wings like crazy...poor little guy.  Mere seconds after I got out of my car, Sammy swooped down, landing on my shoulder.  I checked his mealworm dish, found it empty, so I nudged him onto the platform feeder so I could get him some more.  Whether he ate the ones I left out or other birds did, I don't know, but he sure was hungry.  Maybe he was even missing my presence or company?  This was the first time I've been gone like this since his release 6 days earlier, I know I was a little apprehensive about not being here.

Notice the russet starting to peek through on his side

My friend, Katherine, came over yesterday afternoon hoping to see Sammy.  He was very obliging, hopping down from the gazebo roof onto her outstretched hand full of mealworms and had himself a hearty meal.

Often, when Sammy sees me, he flies in and lands on me, looking for a handout I'm sure. Eastern Bluebird fledglings are fed by their parents for up to a month after leaving the nest, and even though he is getting better and better at catching his own food,  he still needs some help.  Since I'm his "Mom", he seems to actively seek me out and keeps an eye on where I am.

Tip of his beak is starting to harden up, although it is still mostly soft and yellow

Sammy met a Hairy Woodpecker today, either a female or a juvenile and they had quite the stand-off over who owned the maple tree by the pond.  The woodpecker would raise his wings out to the side, trying to look more threatening, while fluffing himself up to look bigger.

Sammy vs Hairy Woodpecker...and the staring contest begins...

Hairy Woodpecker all fluffed making himself look bigger

Then Sammy would lean forward and raise his wings too, trying his best to look menacing - which, personally, I think is impossible cause he's just too darn cute!  This feud went on for a couple of minutes before the woodpecker "cried uncle" first and flew off.  Sammy is becoming quite proprietary over his yard, we jokingly call him our yard bully.

Sammy leaning in meaning business...

Sammy's turn to threaten with a wing-raise...

Bedtime last night and tonight was between 8 and 8:15pm, with Sammy settled in for the night in the beech tree beside the laneway on the same spot on a perfectly, leaf-sheltered branch both nights.

Sweet dreams, Sammy...today you are a beautiful 51-52 days old.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.