Friday, July 18, 2014

Hunting Skills Improving

Catching moths has become quite the art form for Sammy, he does really well at catching them in the air and also off the screen walls of the aviary.  His hunting skills continue to improve every day, and he is successful more times than not.  I still help him hunt sometimes, by placing his insects in front of him on his feeding platform, like the green caterpillars in this video.


Spiders, beetles and big black ants seem to be a favourite of his over the last few days.  He even caught a small spider in the house on the windowsill.

Here's a quick video of Sammy catching a spider.



I keep the curtains closed over the top half of the windows in our room where he gets indoor flight time, and the bottom half of the window is open to the screens.  This way Sammy can still watch the world outside, which he seems to love doing, while avoiding flying into hard glass accidentally.

Morning and evening indoor flight time is getting stronger and stronger, he now flies the length of our bedroom 2 or 3 times before deciding to perch somewhere, usually one of the curtain rods or a window sill.

Male Eastern Bluebird fledgling crouching down hiding
Sammy "hiding" from the Blue Jay family

Cuddle-time before bed is still going on, and still initiated by Sammy.  I don't call him to me or encourage him in any way to land on me.  And I've decided that as long as he wants or needs to, I'm going to let him continue.  I know some people say that we can't and shouldn't attach feelings to birds or animals, but I don't believe that.   This little guy is actively seeking out my companionship and wanting (needing?) to be physically close to me.  I believe I would do him more harm by refusing him this contact, than in continuing to allow him to have it, but only when he chooses to do so. Almost every living creature needs some kind of contact with another living creature throughout their lives, at one time or another - for Sammy, I'm all he's got for now.  On a lighter note, I truly enjoy the time he spends pressed up against my neck or under my ponytail.  It's so peaceful, calming and heartwarming enjoying this little bird's affections, and I am grateful he has triumphantly made it this far.

Sammy is now 38-39 days old.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated! All comments will be reviewed before being posted on this blog.